It’s that time again to look around the house and be sure you are not dating yourself with your design elements.
According to Christy Scanlon, COO, of Masterpiece Design Group in Winter Park, Fla., here’s what’s out for 2010.
- Heavily textured rugs. Flokati and shags hold a lot of allergens. With the new trend of green and healthy living, the focus is on a healthier home environment.
- Entertainment armoires. With the current sizes of LCD televisions and flat screens, the traditional entertainment armoires are being replaced with low storage consoles.
- Dark rustic kitchens. Kitchens are taking a cue from the industrial kitchen. Kitchen designs are sleeker and streamlined, which in turns creates a “clean” look.
- Painting your trim darker than your walls. This was a very popular trend for the past couple of years that is now dating your design.
- The traditional living room. We are finding that the room people once called a living room on a floor plan is now being called a “flex room.” The buyer now wants to use every bit of square feet, therefore the room that housed beautiful furniture you rarely stepped foot in, is now being used as a family game room or home office.
- Less clutter in accessorization. Use large, bolder accessories in lieu of the small, dust gathering items we have seen in the past.
Interested in “what’s in for 2010” and which colors to use to create a cozy, soothing home for your family? Visit the Jan. 28, 2010 issue of The Hestia Report.